In March of 2020, the world changed in almost an instant, and most companies sent their employees to work from home. Daily schedules for these workers look very different now: commutes are non-existent, coffee breaks with co-workers are replaced with breaks with pets or children, and staff meetings take place on Zoom or Google Meet. Recruiting and hiring have changed as well, and the interviewing and onboarding process now takes place virtually.
Virtual interviews are not new to the scene. While nothing may compare to a firm handshake, our new norm has taught us that we can still have a great virtual interaction with potential candidates and organizations.
On camera, we can still get a good idea of body language, conversational skills, and personality. We are still able to hold a conversation and discuss the company, role, requirements, and responsibilities. We may not be sitting across from each other, but virtual interviews and virtual onboarding keeps the candidate pipeline flowing and productivity within the department on track.
Here are a few reminders to ensure you put your best foot forward, virtually:
- Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you are able to be in a quiet area where your focus can be on the interview.
- Test your camera angles or make sure you have the latest update of video software before your call to avoid any technical difficulties
- As if you’re attending an interview in person, be sure to “arrive” to your interview a few minutes early
- Hold yourself to the same personal standards: be prepared with a portfolio, resume, and job description to reference
- Hold the interviewer to those standards, a virtual interview should still be engaging, informative, and allow time for questions
- Be mindful of time zones when scheduling and confirming an interview
While we do our best to ensure the perfect interview environment, this is new for everyone, and things happen. Embrace your dog barking mid-conversation, your cat hopping on your lap, or spouse accidentally opening the office door. At the end of the day, the way you handle things is showcasing you and your personality. And if you are able to embrace those little bumps, odds are you can handle anything that comes up with a new role!
At CMRG, we are always seeking top candidates to pair with great companies around the country. For your hiring solutions, or job search, we are here to help. We’re in this together!
Looking to Hire? Schedule a strategic marketing, recruiting, and/or execution services consultation today.
Looking for your next role? Join CMRG’s Applicant Pool.